History and Development


Windsor Road and Old Windsor Road are two of the most historic roads in New South Wales , forming the second and third roads to have been laid out in the colony respectively. Today, they function largely as arterial roads in north-western Sydney except for the southern-most section of the original Windsor Road which is now a collection of residential streets in the Wentworthville and Westmead area.


Old Windsor Road is laid out

In 1794 the first land grants were made in the Windsor area (then known as Green Hills) in response to the need for additional agricultural land to serve the fledgling colony. By the end of that year over 100 grants had been made and government stores, soldiers’ barracks and a government cottage had been established at Windsor . To serve the Hawkesbury area a road was laid out from the settlement at Parramatta (the uppermost section of the Parramatta River which was navigable to ships) to the Hawkesbury area. This original road amounted to little more than a track, suitable for travel by horseback or foot.

Beginning at the Prospect Road (now Great Western Highway ) west of Parramatta , the original road followed the alignments of present-day Hawkesbury Road , Darcy Road , Fulton Street, Hart Drive and Ferndale Close, passing through extensive areas of the Government Farm at Toongabbie, before joining the current Old Windsor Road at Hammers Road . From here, the road largely followed the current alignments of Old Windsor and Windsor Roads as far as South Creek. This road passed through extensive areas of the Government Farm at Toongabbie.

The first improvements were ordered by Governor Hunter in 1797, and landholders undertook the widening of the road to 20 feet (6 metres). This is regarded as the date for the creation of the original Windsor Road as a carriageway.

In 1802 a new bridge – Howe’s Bridge - was constructed at a new crossing of South Creek on the Windsor Road , and replacing a punt across the river, further to east. The current alignment on the eastern approach to South Creek dates from the construction of this bridge, and the original road leading to the old punt is reflected in the route of today’s Old Hawkesbury Road . At a similar time, the road was deviated slightly to the south at the crossing of First Ponds Creek. Both the deviations allowed travellers to avoid the low and wet lands alongside the Killarney Chain of Ponds.


A new Windsor Road


In 1805 Surveyor James Meehan surveyed an alignment between Parramatta and Kellyville which became the basis for the new Windsor Road in 1813. A committee was formed to collect funds for the upkeep of the colony’s main roads – Sydney to Parramatta and Parramatta to Windsor . Nothing eventuated until 1810, when Governor Macquarie described the roads as “scarcely intitled [sic] to that name…in so bad a state of repair as to be scarcely passable.” Later that year, Macquarie established five new towns along the Hawkesbury River – Wilberforce, Pitt Town , Windsor , Richmond and Castlereagh – and established a Government House at Parramatta . To increase the privacy of the new house, large sections of land between Parramatta and Toongabbie were proclaimed Government Domain.

Macquarie also established a town plan for Parramatta in 1810 and commissioned a new turnpike to follow the line of Church Street across the Parramatta River thence via the line surveyed by James Meehan in 1805 to the existing Windsor Road at Kellyville.

This new alignment would avoid the hilly section of the old Windsor Road (around the Seven Hills Road area) and more importantly avoid the newly-proclaimed Government Domain at Parramatta and Westmead.

Construction of the new road was commenced in 1810 by a contractor, James Harrex, who was unable to complete the work. Another contractor, John Howe, took over and completed the work in November 1812, which included the construction of 70 bridges. The “new” Windsor Road was 32 feet wide and the alignment marked by rows of stones at the edge of the carriageway. A toll system was introduced to pay for the construction and ongoing maintenance of the new Windsor Road , with toll booths established at Rouse Hill and at North Parramatta .


A shocking state of repair

In 1824 a regular passenger coach service was established between Parramatta and Windsor , however the poor condition of the road caused the coach service to be suspended in the late 1820s. Complaints from landholders and travellers about the poor condition of the road continued through the following decades.

In 1827 a relatively major change was made in the alignment of the road at Box Hill, where a characteristic kink near the intersection with Garfield Road East was removed. Maps from this time show the Windsor Road along the current alignment – a broad curve – in this vicinity. No trace of the original alignment remains and the reasons for the realignment are still unclear.

In 1833, Windsor Road was proclaimed a Main Road under the legislation of the time, to be maintained at public expense. The Old Windsor Road was declared a Parish Road in the same proclamation. In 1835 a toll house was constructed at the South Creek crossing near Windsor .

During the 1830s, the deteriorated condition of Old Windsor Road rendered it impassable in many sections and the options of either repairing and re-opening the Old Windsor Road or creating a new road alignment were debated. It was decided to repair the existing the road.

In 1849 a Windsor Road Trust was formed to oversee maintenance on the Windsor Road and in 1853 a new bridge was constructed across South Creek at Windsor , replacing the earlier Howe’s Bridge. The new bridge was named Fitzroy Bridge , a name which has been passed down the current two-lane concrete box girder structure which was constructed in 1974.


Reconstruction for the motor vehicle

The opening of the railway line from Blacktown to Richmond via Windsor in 1867 somewhat decreased the importance of the Windsor Road , particularly for the transportation of goods. Thus, more than half a century passed without any major new construction.

In 1924 the Department of Public Works used water-bound macadam in reconstructing Windsor Road near Rouse Hill. A bitumen coating was laid down during 1925-26 and renewed in 1928-29. Water-bound macadam and bitumen surfaces were necessitated by the rapid rise of the motor vehicles. The Main Roads Board and the Department of Main Roads continued this work along the length of the Windsor Road during the 1930s.

On 22 May 1928 the Windsor Road , from Pennant Hills Rd at North Parramatta to Windsor , was proclaimed as part of Main Road No. 184. The declaration also extends along the Bells Line of Road and Darling Causeway to Mount Victoria and is still held to this day. Old Windsor Road was also classified as a Main Road, No. 180, however this did not last very long and the proclamation was subsequently revoked in 1929 (Blacktown & Baulkham Hills LGAs) and 1930 (Holroyd LGA).

In 1902 a Government-owned tramway line was opened beside Windsor Road between Parramatta and Baulkham Hills, then extended along Old Northern Road to Castle Hill in 1910. The coming of tramway spurred subdivision and growth in the Baulkham Hills and Castle Hill area and pressure from increasing motor traffic was soon evident along Windsor Road . In 1928, the Main Roads Board drew attention to the fact that motor traffic along the route had increased considerably and problems were arising from increased congestion and inadequate road width. The railway line (the tramway was converted into a light roadside rail line in 1922-23) was also becoming unpopular with the public as it took longer than the tram, had fewer stops and patronage decreased further with the Depression. Suggestions were made to relocate the railway or widen Windsor Road to allow for greater passage of motor traffic. In April 1929 an estimate for relocating the railway was £198,000 and so it was recommended that the line be closed on 30 June 1930 . The last train services ran on 31 January 1932, however it wasn’t until June 1934 that the tracks had been removed and the road widened to four lanes.

The Roads and Traffic Authority has reported that cutting and filling along Windsor Road was undertaken during World War 2 by the United States military to provide evacuation routes should a Japanese invasion take place in Sydney. This work would have been part of the same works programme that saw the Bells Line of Road improved as an alternative to the Great Western Highway.

However, oral history collected about the Rouse Hill area (Stapleton, 2005) records that construction of the cutting between Rouse Hill Estate and the former Rouse Hill Public School was undertaken between 1927 and 1931. It is likely that it was undertaken as a depression-era project, possibly around the time of Edwin Stephen Rouse’s death in 1931.

In 1948 the pavement of Windsor Rd was widened to 22 feet in anticipation of heavy post-war traffic.


Old Windsor Road regains importance


Department of Main Roads plans in the 1960s saw the Old Windsor Road route again becoming of some importance, as one of the approaches to the Parramatta Ring Road . The Parramatta Ring Road project involved the construction of James Ruse Drive , the M4 and Cumberland Highway during the 1970s and 1980s.

Upgrading of Old Windsor Road commenced with Stage 4 of the Parramatta Bypass in 1980, which involved widening Briens Road at Northmead to six lanes, the construction of a new six-lane bridge over Toongabbie Creek, and six lane approaches to the bridge from Hammers Road, Old Toongabbie, and the railway underpass at Wentworthville. The approach from Hammers Road connected directly with Old Windsor Road , which was improved between 1980 and 1984 with the construction of high-level bridges over Toongabbie Creek at Johnston ’s Bridge and Pye’s Crossing, and the widening of the road to four and six lanes as far north at Seven Hills Road . Blacktown City and Baulkham Hills Shire Councils also reconstructed and sealed the last unmade section of Old Windsor Rd , between Sunnyholt Rd and Windsor Rd. However, this section was subject to a 5 tonne load limit (primarily because of narrow timber bridge over Caddies Creek) until December 2002.

The construction of Stage 4 of the Parramatta Bypass – completed in December 1981 – spelt the end of the Wentworthville section of Old Windsor Rd, being severed into a number of residential streets. Only Hawkesbury Road , which leads from the Great Western Highway to Westmead Hospital , retains some reference to the original name of the route.

In the meantime, Windsor Road had some relatively minor improvements made – revolving around some widening to four lanes near Castle Hill and Kellyville to serve the urban release areas of the 1970s and 1980s.


Old Windsor Road reconstruction and duplication

The construction of the Hills (M2) Motorway (formerly F2 – Castlereagh Freeway) between North Ryde and Seven Hills – completed in May 1997 – brought more traffic to Old Windsor Road which was becoming established as the major route to Windsor once again. However, north of Seven Hills Road the route was only a two-lane, single carriageway, rural road and was subject to a 5 tonne load limit north of Sunnyholt Road .

Work began in 2000 on the worst section of Old Windsor Road – between Sunnyholt Road and Windsor Road – an involved realigning the road in the vicinity of Caddies Creek, the construction of large culverts across Caddies Creek and new dual carriageways. This work was also the first to be completed in March 2002 and removed the 5 tonne load limit that had existed since the 1980s. Also as part of this project, the junction of Windsor and Old Windsor Roads at Kellyville was reconstructed to favour Old Windsor Road traffic, reinforcing its role as the main route to Windsor once again.

In March 2001, the State Government launched the ‘All the way to Windsor ’ funding programme in response to years of complaints regarding safety and congestion along the Windsor Road corridor. The programme split the upgrading of Old Windsor Road (north of the M2) and Windsor Road (north-west of Baulkham Hills) into 13 projects – 3 on Old Windsor Road and 10 on Windsor Road .

The first stage (Sunnyholt Road to Windsor Road) was accelerated through the new funding programme and the second and third stages (Norbrik to Celebration Drive and M2 to Norbrik) were commenced in mid-2001. Between Norbrik and Celebration Drive , Old Windsor Road passed through some very narrow cuttings and undulating terrain, particularly south of Meurants Lane , so it was decided to realign the road on a completely new alignment to the east. The southbound carriageway between Norbrik and Celebration Drive opened first, with the existing carriageway reverting to one-way northbound operation. A new northbound carriageway was constructed alongside the southbound carriageway, completing the project, and opened in October 2002. This connected to the four-lane dual carriageway that was constructed from Seven Hills Road to Norbrik around the same time. The old alignment of Old Windsor Road between Norbrik and Meurants Lane has been listed as a Heritage Item and will be incorporated into the Parramatta-Rouse Hill Transitway, which is currently under construction.

At Seven Hills Road , a roundabout had been installed the control the increasing volumes of traffic that were using the intersection, including significant volumes of turning traffic. Congestion at the roundabout had become so bad by the 1990s that traffic signals were introduced in November 1992 to control traffic entering the roundabout during peak periods. A final scheme for the complete reconstruction of the intersection was decided upon in 2001 and reconstruction commenced soon afterwards. An overpass to carry Seven Hills Road over the Parramatta-Rouse Hill Transitway, currently under construction, was built on the western side of Old Windsor Rd as part of the upgrade, as well as the widening of Old Windsor Road to six lanes between Abbott Road and 50m north of Seven Hills Road. This project was completed in February 2003, completing Old Windsor Road ’s contribution to the All the way to Windsor funding programme.

Since then, a grade-separated interchange with the Westlink M7 has been constructed (with east-facing ramps) between Seven Hills Road and Norbrik. To compliment the Westlink M7, an underpass for Old Windsor Road traffic at the junction with Norwest Boulevard is being constructed. Norwest Boulevard becomes an on-ramp to the Westlink M7 and forms a direct link between the motorway, Norwest Business Park and Castle Hill, and this intersection has seen a rapid increase in traffic volumes. Construction of underpass commenced in March 2005 and is expected to be completed by the end of 2006.


Windsor Road – All the way to Windsor

Following years of complaints regarding the safety and traffic congestion on Windsor Road between Baulkham Hills and Windsor, the State Government launched the ‘All the way to Windsor’ funding programme in March 2001, pledging to accelerate funding to ensure four lanes all the way to Windsor along Windsor and Old Windsor Roads. The funding programme divided the upgrade into thirteen individual projects – 10 of them on Windsor Road.

In 2001 the four-lane Windsor Road became two lanes at Roxborough Park Drive, Baulkham Hills, and remained two lanes until just south of the junction with Showground Road at Castle Hill. From there, four lane road existed as far as Acres Road , Kellyville, which had been constructed probably during the 1980s. From Acres Road , single carriageway two-lane conditions prevailed all the way to Macquarie Street at Windsor except for a few short sections of multi-lane road on the approaches to major intersections. Overtaking lanes also existed between Garfield Road East and McGraths Hill, having been provided during the 1990s as an interim measure.

The first section of Windsor Road to be upgraded was from the junction with Old Windsor Road to Merriville Road at the new suburb of Kellyville Ridge. This work was part of the upgrade of Old Windsor Road between Sunnyholt Road and Windsor Road and was opened to traffic in March 2002. Six lanes are provided for traffic between Old Windsor Road and Merriville Road .

In August 2003 the dual carriageways were extended a further one kilometre towards Windsor with the completion of the Merriville Road to Schofields Road upgrade.

These works near Kellyville were mirrored at the Windsor end of the route by the widening and duplication of Windsor Road between Henry Road and Curtis Road , Vineyard (completed in June 2002) and between Curtis Road and Pitt Town Road , McGraths Hill (completed in April 2004). Duplication of the section south from Henry Road as far as Level Crossing Road , Vineyard was completed in April 2004.

From early 2004 onwards there was a lull in construction activity with only the 500m-long Showground Road to Norwest Boulevard upgrade opening to traffic (December 2004). At one stage it was looking very likely that the ‘All the way to Windsor ’ objective of providing four lanes to Windsor by the end 2006 would not come to fruition. However, the final five projects were all commenced during 2005 and are well on their way to completion by the end of 2006.

The final five projects are:

  • Roxborough Park Drive , Baulkham Hills, to Norwest Boulevard , Castle Hill (construction commenced in July 2005, traffic is using some of the new pavement as of June 2006)
  • Acres Road to Old Windsor Rd , Kellyville. (construction commenced in July 2005, traffic is using some of the new pavement as of June 2006)
  • Mile End Road , Rouse Hill, to Boundary Road , Box Hill. (construction commenced August 2005 and involves a four-lane deviation around the north side of the former Rouse Hill Public School to avoid a narrow cutting between the former school and Rouse Hill Estate. Expected completion is the end of 2006)
  • Boundary Road, Box Hill, to Level Crossing Road , Vineyard. (construction commenced August 2005, traffic is using some of the pavement as of June 2006)
  • Windsor Flood Evacuation Route (more on this project below)


Windsor Flood Evacuation Route

This project arose as a recommendation of the Hawkesbury-Nepean Flood Management Study (1997), which identified the need for the upgrading of essential evacuation routes to help protect the lives of residents in the urbanised areas of the Hawkesbury-Nepean valley, which are subject to potentially very deep and hazardous flooding.

The Hawkesbury-Nepean Flood Management Study identified an essential programme of road improvements to be undertaken as an immediate priority, generally involving low-spot rectifications on existing routes, minor road raisings and increased traffic lanes.

Following the adoption of the HNFMS in 1998, a steering committee was established to implement the study’s recommendations and they developed an Interim Regional Road Upgrade Plan of which the Windsor Flood Evacuation Route was a key part.

The upgrade plan estimated that 6,600 people and 3,160 vehicles would be isolated if the existing flood evacuation route configuration is retained and not upgraded. The plan also found that it would not be feasible to raise the George Street/Richmond Road/The Northern Road evacuation route to the required level because the extensive works necessary would have severe adverse impacts on properties and the amenity of George Street . Therefore, it was decided that the main evacuation route for Windsor would have to be provided by a high-level crossing of South Creek. The existing route of Windsor Road is cut by floodwaters when floodwaters reach 9 metres at Windsor Bridge , whilst a new crossing would remain open until floodwaters reach 17.3m. To build the new route any higher would not be practicable from a flood management perspective, due to the low-lying nature of the land at either end of the new route. This new route would be the only route available for the evacuation of Windsor , as the Richmond railway line becomes inoperable at Riverstone when backwater flooding occurs (equivalent to a flood height of 13m at Windsor bridge).

Whilst the Windsor Flood Evacuation Route ’s primary function is to allow additional time to assist Windsor and South Windsor residents to evacuate to safety in the event of a flood, it will also fulfil a secondary function of improving performance of the road network around Windsor . Existing traffic conditions within Windsor are poor, with volumes in excess of 30,000 vehicles per day one largely two-lane roads with multiple signalised intersections. It is anticipated that construction of the new route would result in a reduction of approximately 45% of the traffic flow on the existing Windsor Road/Macquarie Street route, this traffic instead switching the new route to bypass Windsor.

An Environmental Impact Statement for the Windsor Flood Evacuation Route was completed in August 2002 and the project received planning approval in November 2003. The Roads and Traffic Authority acquired the necessary property during 2004 before awarding the construction contract in November 2005. Work on the new road had just begun when I last visited the site in March 2006 and, in my honest opinion, it would take a big effort for construction to be completed by the end of 2006 as the State Government promised.

Key features of the route, which will leave Windsor Road via Groves Ave, passing along Railway Road North, a new overpass of Mulgrave Road, long embankments across the South Creek floodplain and a 1043m bridge over the main channel of South Creek before linking directly into a four-way signalised intersection at the junction of Richmond Rd and Macquarie St. Access to the new route will provided via links to Day Street and Mulgrave Rd, whilst industrial properties on the northern side of Railway Road North will be served by a new service road. Groves Avenue will form the link between the new route and Windsor Road and has been upgraded (resurfacing completed June 2005) accordingly.




The original route of Old Windsor Road, constructed in 1794, left Parramatta via Alexandra Ave, thence via Hawkesbury Road, Darcy Road, Fulton Ave, Hart Drive and Ferndale Close to Old Toongabbie. Governor Lachlan Macquarie later shifted the alignment of the Prospect Road , which originally went via Alexandra Ave, to a ridge south of the Government Domain at Parramatta, along the line of today’s Great Western Highway. Hawkesbury Road (Old Windsor Rd) was thus extended 1km southwards to join the Propsect Road at Westmead.

From 1812 the Westmead section of Old Windsor Road was relieved as the major Parramatta-Windsor route and never regained that title, instead consolidating its new position as a secondary route and then, later, as residential streets. By 1860 Hawkesbury Road, Darcy Road, Fulton Ave, Hart Drive and Ferndale Close had been surveyed and fixed on their current alignments, following subdivision of the former Government Domain at Parramatta (the site now occupied by Westmead Hospital).

There is little in the Westmead area that still reflects the original purpose of this section of Old Windsor Road, as illustrated in the table below.

Looking southeast on Darcy Road at the Briens Road intersection, Westmead.
Source: Andrew Ison, July 2009.
Fulton Street looking south near Railway Street.
Source: Andrew Ison, July 2009.
Fulton Street looking north at the small concrete bridge over Coopers Creek near the dead end. This bridge was constructed in 1928 and the only significant work undertaken on Old Windsor Road before it was decommissioned in 1930.
Source: Andrew Ison, July 2009.
Ferndale Close, Constitution Hill, looking south towards Constitution Road.
Photo taken: September 2009.
Ferndale Close looking north towards the current section of Old Windsor Road, which is located behind the noise walls at the crest of the hill.
Photo taken: September 2009.

Seven Hills

The current high-level bridges that carry Old Windsor Road across Toongabbie Creek at both Johnston ’s Bridge and Pye’s Crossing were constructed in 1980. One stretch of road parallel to the current alignment on the southern approach to Johnston ’s Bridge (western service road) was previously thought to be an old alignment of Old Windsor Road. However, plans for Johnston ’s Bridge and the RTA’s 1943 aerial photographs show that the original alignment overlapped this service road only for 30-40m on the southern side of the bridge.

Between Caroline Chisholm Drive and Gibbon Rd a service road parallels a dual carriageway Old Windsor Road on the eastern (Winston Hills) side. North of Caroline Chisholm Drive the service road is largely on the same level as the current alignment, indicating that it may once have been part of the original road to the Hawkesbury. The section of service road south of Caroline Chisholm Drive is unlikely to have been part of the original road as it rises to the top of a ridge which is several metres above the current high-level bridge (Johnston’s Bridge) over Toongabbie Creek. Both sections of service road are shown adjacent to Old Windsor Road by 1973 (prior to its realignment and duplication) which indicates they were probably constructed solely to serve the residential development of Winston Hills.

A kink in the road is visible in 1943 aerial photos where Old Windsor Road crosses Toongabbie Creek at Pye’s Crossing. However, no trace of this kink remains and the old alignment is currently being built upon by the Parramatta-Rouse Hill Transitway.

North of Abbott Road (as far as the Westlink M7) Old Windsor Road follows the same alignment as the original road, the only difference being much wider cuts, fills and pavement.

The eastern service road looking north from Caroline Chisholm Drive. A shared cycle/pedestrian path can be seen under construction as part of the North West Transitway project. The layout of the service road doesn't really give any indication that it was once part of Old Windsor Rd. March 2006.
Looking south to Seven Hills Road, showing the conditions on Old Windsor Road prior to its upgrading. Oct 1999.
Looking north along Old Windsor Road from the junction with Seven Hills Rd, showing heavy traffic on the former two-lane rural road. In the distance, construction can be seen underway on the realignment and development of dual carriageways north of Norbrik. Oct 1999.

Norbrik to Celebration Drive (Meurants Lane)

This is easily the most evocative former alignment of Old Windsor and Windsor Roads, with both sides of the original alignment enclosed by dense vegetation and earth embankments. Despite being located only 50m to west of the current dual carriageway road, this section retains the “country lane” character which was once evident along the length of Old Windsor Road. It has been proposed that this section be of old road be incorporated into the Parramatta-Rouse Hill Transitway – hopefully this does not result in the destruction of valuable heritage.More photos coming soon!

Looking north in the vicinity of what is now the Westlink M7 interchange at Bella Vista, showing the original alignment of Old Windsor Road splitting off the left at Norbrik. May 2004.
The "country lane" alignment of Old Windsor Road, looking south from Norwest Boulevard. It is scary to think that heavy traffic once used this narrow two-lane road, which will be incorporated into the North West Transitway. March 2006.
A section of remnant pavement that has since been removed due to the construction of a grade-separated interchange at the Old Windsor Rd/Norwest Boulevard junction. This view is looking south to Norwest Boulevard with the current dual carriageway Old Windsor Rd visible on the left. Note the right lane merge - once the new southbound carriageway was opened the original carriageway reverted to one-way northbound traffic. Only one lane was used (because of the narrowness of the pavement) except at Norwest Boulevard where a turning lane was introduced. April 2005.
Looking north from the spot where I took the above photo, showing the original carriageway alongside the current dual carriageways. Note how the retaining wall supporting the new carriageways hs destroyed part of the already narrow pavement. This section is to be incorporated into the North West Transitway but it will have to be widened first. April 2005.

Stanhope Farm (north and south of Samantha Riley Drive)

At this location approximately 300m of Old Windsor Road (the alignment reconstructed and sealed by Blacktown City & Baulkham Hills Shire Councils in 1981-84) has remained following the duplication and realignment works that were completed in March 2002. However, the bitumen road surface has been ripped up, leaving only a dirt trail where a two-lane country road once ran. It is proposed that this section of road be incorporated into the Parramatta-Rouse Hill Transitway which is currently under construction.

Unfortunately no evidence of the original narrow bridge and kink at Caddies Creek remain.

The short section of the original road alignment south of Samantha Riley Drive. In the distance you can see the current dual carriageway road rejoins the original alignment. Photo taken by Natalie Pelleri, April 2006.
Looking north from Samantah Riley Drive, showing the original tree-lined alignment. Photo taken by Natalie Pelleri, April 2006.
A row of Cumberland Plain woodland trees marks the line of the original Windsor Road north of Samantha Riley Drive. Photo taken by Natalie Pelleri, April 2006.
The original bitumen surface (applied in 1981-84) has been ripped up and only an earth formation remains to mark the original alignment of Old Windsor Road. This section will be incorporated into the North West Transitway which is currently under construction. Photo taken by Natalie Pelleri, April 2006.


Excelsior Way, Baulkham Hills

This small section of road was removed from the Windsor Road route due to a short corner realignment, undertaken between 1964 and 1973 (according to UBD and Gregory’s maps). Today, it serves a small number of properties located adjacent to Windsor Road and is accessed via the signalised intersection at Parsonage Road.

Excelsior Way, looking south from Excelsior Ave towards Windsor Road. June 2006.
Excelsior Way, looking south from its junction with Excelsior Ave. This was formerly the location of the intersection of Windsor Rd & Excelsior Ave. Today, Excelsior Ave does not meet Windsor Rd directly - traffic must use Parsonage Rd. Also note the old style Baulkham Hills Council blade sign and "No Through Rd" tab. June 2006.
Excelsior Ave looking west from Excelsior Way. The junction with Parsonage Rd can bee seen in the distance and it is also very evident that Excelsior Ave was once part of Windsor Rd (in the far distance). June 2006.

Rouse Hill Cutting

Technically this section is still part of the Windsor Road but will become the newest former alignment by the end of 2006 when a four-lane deviation is completed around the northern edge of the former Rouse Hill Public School.

It is believed that the cutting was created around the time of Edwin Stephen Rouse’s death in 1931 as a Depression-era project. Previously, the Windsor Road has traversed the exact same alignment but passed over the top of the ridge where a toll gate was in use during the early 1800s.

It is proposed by the Historic Houses Trust of NSW, who manage the Rouse Hill Estate, to reinstate the historic relationship between the house and the Windsor Road by filling in the cutting. This way, this stretch of the road will be returned to its early form as an unsealed road with post and rail fences either side.

The bridge over Second Ponds Creek, looking west. This is where the old alignment will begin - a new four lane bridge will take Windsor Road across Second Ponds Creek on a new alignment north of the former Rouse Hill Public School. Oct 2005.
Looking southeast from the Annangrove Road intersection, showing a steady flow of traffic on the narrow two-lane pavement. March 2006.
The cutting which takes Windsor Road between Rouse Hill Estate and the former Rouse Hill public School, looking west from Annangrove Road. It is proposed to fill in this cutting and reinstate the historic relationship between Rouse Hill Estate and the Windsor Road. This was also the site of one of the Windsor Road toll houses, in the early 1800s.

Old Hawkesbury Road

Old Hawkesbury Road, between Chapman Road at Vineyard and Pitt Town Road at McGraths Hill, forms part of the original road from Parramatta to Windsor, established in 1794. It parallels the current Windsor Road between Chapman Road and Latona Ave before diverging to the north west – heading towards the original punt across South Creek. In 1802 the current alignment was established, leading towards the original bridge over South Creek and also allowing travellers to bypass the low and swampy ground alongside the Killarney Chain-of-Ponds.

Old Hawkesbury Road is the longest single stretch of redundant Windsor Road alignment and today survives partly as a sealed minor suburban road and partly as an unsealed rural lane giving access to adjacent properties.

The eastern-most section of Old Hawkesbury Road, looking west from Chapman Rd at Vineyard. The road looks in about the same condition as the No Through Road sign! This section of Old Hawkesbury Rd is only trafficable for about 400m and serves a handful of rural properties. June 2006.
Looking southeast from Brennans Dam Rd at Vineyard. Whilst the road reservation is completely intact, Old Hakwesbury Road has been severed into 4 separate sections, possibly to discourage rat-running from Windsor Rd traffic. In this view, the line of power poles leads the eye towards another section of sealed Old Hawkesbury Rd. June 2006.
Typical gate set-up that prevents through traffic from using the unsealed "rural lane" sections of Old Hawkesbury Road. This view is looking northwest, about 100m from Brennans Dam Rd. June 2006.
The 'country lane' characteristic of Old Hawkesbury Rd is very evident in this view, looking southeast from McGrath Rd at McGraths Hill. June 2006.
Looking northwest from McGrath Rd at McGraths Hill, showing the suburbanised section of Old Hawkesbury Road. The view is similar until reaching the end of the road (at Pitt Town Rd). June 2006.



Clive Lucas Stapleton. (2005) Windsor and Old Windsor Roads Management Plan .

Connell Wagner. (2002) Windsor Flood Evacuation Route across South Creek Environmental Impact Statement (Online) Available from: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/constructionmaintenance/downloads/southcreek/windsor_flood_evac_route_eis_dl1.html [Accessed: 11 June 2006]

Roads and Traffic Authority. (2005a) Old Windsor Road and Windsor Road Heritage Precincts (Online) Available from: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/index.cgi?action=heritage.show&id=4301011 [Accessed: 11 June 2006]

Roads and Traffic Authority. (2005b) Windsor flood evacuation route (Online) Available from: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/constructionmaintenance/majorconstructionprojectssydney/windsorroadupgrade/windsorfloodevacuationroute.html [Accessed: 11 June 2006]

Last updated 23 March 2011
© Ozroads 2004-2011.